Monday, October 1, 2012

What you didn't know about Marvin

The girls and I have received condolences from around the world since Marvin's passing. From just about every state in the United States, to multiple places around the world such as France, England, Hong Kong, Panama, Chile, Columbia, Brazil, Capetown South Africa, Argentina, Durban, Luanda Africa, Tanzania, Antigua West Indies, Nigeria, and more.  Then there are several Facebook messages I received in other languages that I haven't been able to read.  To say he was loved around the world is an understatement.

The remarks and comments about Marvin had a comment thread, "He was a great guy, he walked in so much humility, he really impacted my life, he was such a blessing to me, he was an inspiration to me...", and the list goes on.

Everything, everyone has said is true.  However, there is one thing most people didn't know about Marvin, he was stubborn (and at times I was very grateful).  One definition of stubborn reads, "fixed or set in purpose or opinion."  I know that sounds contrary, but had it not been for his stubbornness, you would not have known he existed.  I shared this story in my book about Marvin's transition into full-time music ministry.  He was gainfully employed for 10 years as a bus driver for a city transportation company which provided great benefits and respectable wages.  However, Marvin knew in his heart he was destined for more that just driving the bus for the rest of his life.  As one friend told him over 20 years ago, "You are the world's best kept secret."

While his "purpose" was calling him, I was telling him there was no way he could make a living doing music full time.  He knew in his heart that an opportunity was before him and he could either seize it now or regret it later.  He decided to seize it and the platform Marvin was given to play on with Fred Hammond and RFC introduced him to the world!  I'm happy he was fixed and set on his opinion about his "purpose", or in other words--stubborn.  He didn't listen to what I thought was best for us and as a result, many people have been touched and ministered to by him that would not have otherwise been reached.

My husband didn't die with seeds in his pocket.  He planted them by imparting wisdom into others and mentoring young musicians during his short time on earth.  He accomplished what he was sent here to do.

Over 1,000 people attend the services for him in two states not including those who logged into the live stream.  Marvin definitely practiced what he preached because he, "Didn't just make a mark, he blew a hole in it," and it all began because he chose to be stubborn.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to put it: " he didn't die with seeds in his pocket..." I, too, want to plant all my seeds. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this and i would like to take a small piece from here for my nephew it reminded me of him and that is (My husband didn't die with seeds in his pocket. He planted them by imparting wisdom into others and mentoring young musicians during his short time on earth. He accomplished what he was sent here to do.) And with you permission i would like to put this on his program for his going home service Oct 27th, he was a drummer at heart, and 23yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The great commission "He didn't die with seeds in his pocket.He planted them by imparting wisdom into others and mentoring young musicians during his short time on earth." A life well lived!

    Edgar-Tanzania

    ReplyDelete