Monday, May 2, 2011

Musicians can help us connect to God!

Recently, I went through a trial that took me totally off guard. I didn't see it coming and it was a stressful time.

I remember riding home one day in my car, while in the midst of this fight, and I heard the song by Wess Morgan, "I Choose to Worship” on the radio.  The lyrics challenged me to use the weapon of worship to fight this unexpected battle. Instead of my prayer time consisting of praying about the situation I was in, I chose to worship. I didn't ask God for anything, I didn't tell Him how I felt, I didn't ask Him why, I didn't pray for myself or the parties involved. I just worshipped and as a result, my prayer time was revolutionized.

The Holy Spirit ministers to me through the lyrics of songs. While in this recent battle, I kept hearing these songs over and over..."Nobody Greater" by VaShawn Mitchell, and "I Believe" by James Fortune. Those songs ministered to me immensely.   I would hear them in my spirit all day. On several occasions when I got in my car either song was just coming on the radio. This went on for weeks. Day and night the lyrics and music in those songs ministered and confirmed to me what the Lord was doing and going to do.

Here's my point. Music is it's own language. It has the innate ability to change an atmosphere in seconds. Music is powerful and on the other side of that music is a musician.  There is no music without a musician.  Imagine a praise and worship experience at your church without any music. It would not be as effective. 

Now consider this, our husband's are the vessel that helps the Body of Christ connect to God.   He teams up with others to usher in the presence of the King of Kings. He's not just a musician; he's a part of the Levitical priesthood.

When we view our husbands as minsters and not just a musician, it gives a greater understanding of his call. It was music that helped me through that rough time. It was music that helped me understand that God is in control. It was music that soothed my aching emotions. It was a minstrel playing an instrument that translated in to a song that helped me through a trial, which came to derail, distract and destroy me.

Over the years I have been able to embrace my husband's call as a Kingdom assignment, not just a man who loves playing an instrument.  It's all about perspective.  Changing my view of things has allowed me to support and pray for him as he plays a pivotal part in the Kingdom by setting the tone in our worship services to usher in the presence of the Lord.  

I thank God for the gift of musicianship He has placed in our husbands.  Life is not the same without it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow.....this is so on point. The Lord just used you to illuminate my understanding about what my husband is really called to do, from His point of view. Sometimes things are just "as we see them" and then the Holy Spirit will use someone like you to help us adjust and begin to see things "as they really are." Thanks Kim for sharing these nuggets of wisdom. God is really using you....stay yielded.

    ReplyDelete