Monday, September 24, 2012

In sickness and in health...

Today, Marvin and I would have celebrated 24 years of marriage.  On September 24, 1988, we made a covenant before God and stay committed to each for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, until death did us part. In actuality, we didn't realize the depth of what we were saying "I do" to. 

Over the years, we had our times of being broke and for many years I was his caregiver as he battled in his body.  The stress really took a toll on the entire family.  We were all affected.   I don't think anyone realizes the seriousness of committing to "stick and stay" during turbulent times.  Only the grace of God can get us through those rough seasons.

Marvin fought many different health issues, but at the same time experienced the healing power of Jesus in his life and even deemed himself "a miracle."

Over the course of five years,  he was in and out of the hospital over 15 times.  But just like all the rest, I knew he would be coming home.   However, God had other plans.


Those of you who are aren't married yet, know that you will be presented with an opportunity in your marriage when those vows you said "I do" to, will be tested in ways you have never imagined.  You will feel like giving up, waving the white flag and walking away.  But know that the Lord will reward you richly if you don't faint in the day of adversity.

I will miss my husband dearly.  We had plans.  We had dreams. We looked forward to being in-laws, grandparents and ministry partners.  However, I take comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering and is resting in the arms of Jesus. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow...your words just helped me. Thank you!! I am praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete