Monday, January 9, 2012

Perseverance

Tomorrow morning at Marvin and I will be speaking at Christian Tabernacle Church in Houston.  The service starts at 5 am (that's not a typo).  We have been asked to speak on perseverance.

Perseverance is a continued effort to do something despite difficulties, failure or opposition.

We are all too familiar with the subject.  From early on in our marriage having to adjust to the call of God on our lives, to Marvin's recent health challenges and many other opportunities in between, to give up and throw in the towel.  However, in light of what we go through, God has a way of making it all turn out for our good and blessing us beyond what we could ever imagined.  But the key is don't give up.

One of my favorite scriptures in times of testing is, Psalm 27:13, "I am still confident of this, I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."  It is very easy to give up when it seems like the answer, or the end won't come. We get tired of fighting and waiting. However, Galatians 6:9 says, "And let us not be weary in well doing; for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  That scripture kept me going when everything in me wanted to quit and run away.

Naturally speaking, I can exercise patience pretty well, but when I'm done with something, I'm ready to move on.  But it's not that easy when you want to do it God's way.  He will equip us to hold on, if we are willing.

What war is waging around you that screams, "wave the flag?"  Are you weary? Does it seem like this trial will never come to an end?  Take heart, because it will.   I Peter 5:10 says, "After you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen and establish you." THIS TOO SHALL PASS.  It didn't come to stay, it came to pass.  Learn every lesson, and gain all the wisdom while you're in it so you don't have to go through it again.

Perseverance has its reward.  We just have to hang in there long enough to experience it and I can attest that God always makes the wait worthwhile.

Learn more about our story in my book, "Me, My Man and His Music" at www.kimmcquitty.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment