Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Take The Limits Off!

Last summer, the Lord impressed on me to finish my Christian Counseling Certification.  I found a local Bible college here in Houston and scheduled a visit to learn more about their program.   My only intention was to see if this particular school was the right fit for me.  After my appointment with an admissions counselor, she asked if I were available to take the Compass Test.  I wasn't prepared because I only intended to stop in for a few minutes.  However, I agreed since I was already there and the college is 30 miles from my house.

A few months prior to this, I thought about Marvin's obituary from his memorial service and wasn't sure if I had gotten one.   Not sure why I thought about it at that moment, but I did.  I looked in all of my files and realized that I didn't keep one. There was so much going on that day, I never thought about it.  Immediately disappointment sat in.

I completed the Compass Test a couple of hours later and then sat down with the counselor in her office.  We engaged in small talk while she reviewed my test scores. A few minutes later, she paused and looked up at me with Marvin's obituary in her hand.  She noticed my last name and asked me if I knew him.  I said, "Yes, that was my husband, so you knew him?"  She said, "No, I never met him before." I said, "Really, you didn't know him...how did you get his obituary?" She went on to tell me that someone placed it in her office mailbox a week prior.   She didn't know why or who and it had been sitting on her desk every since.   I told her about my discovery of not having one and  how disappointed I was that I didn't save one for myself.  With tears in her eyes, she said, "Here you go, this is yours... I don't know what God is up to, but He sent you here today."  We were both speechless at that point.  It threw me for a loop, and she had chills.  She mentioned that she started to call in sick that day, but the Holy Spirit prompted her not to. She was glad she obeyed.

This is what blew my mind. Marvin was not connected to that college in any way.  He never attended any classes there, ever!   Secondly, who on staff at the college still had his obituary 2.5 years after his passing?  Generally speaking, obituaries are kept of relatives and close friends.   Thirdly, why was it placed in that particular admissions counselor's box just days before?

What an awesome God we serve!  There is no such thing as luck, happenstance or coincidence with Him.  He divinely orchestrated my steps to that particular college, to speak with that particular admissions counselor, and I now have the obituary from Marvin's memorial service.   Sure, I could have made a few phone calls to someone in my family to see if they had an extra copy, but actually that never crossed my mind.   What God did for me was extraordinary and nothing short of Ephesians 3:20 (NASB), "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us."

This has taught me to take the limits off of God because He can do exceedingly more than we can ever imagine!  I'm still relishing in His awesomeness, limitless power and how much He is in love with me.  WOW!








No comments:

Post a Comment